On May 24th, 2022, Neighbors Helping Neighbors organized a Town Hall on RAD/PACT during which they shared their perspectives on the program, which were rooted in a community-based survey they conducted of neighbors at Ocean Bay Houses during the 2021/2022 Winter. At the end, they also outlined a clear set of demands, which are also shared below.
We Demand Our 9!
- Stop RAD. Instruct HUD to place a moratorium on privatizations via RAD/ PACT and Section 18.
- Study the effects of RAD vs Section 9. Conduct a thorough and comparative impact study of all project-based Section 8 privatizations, and determine the cost of operation per unit nationally.
- Issue a national state of emergency for Section 9 housing.
- Instate federal and tenant oversight of public housing authorities.
- Fund Section 9. Allocate $100B to Section 9 for rehabilitation immediately and create a framework to increase funding to $180B by 2025.
- Expand Section 9. Restore the Section 9 housing stock to 1999 numbers and work to fully repeal the Faircloth Act by 2025.
- Rehabilitate our homes. Support the sustainable and resilient rehabilitation of public housing campuses and units.
- Strike racist language from any legislation. Ensure that racist and derogatory beliefs surrounding public housing do not continue to impact policy making.
- Take actionable steps to hold NYCHA accountable and get the agency back not track.